December 23, 2010

Sing Along With Brockeim: Elizabeth Barrett Browning parody

How Do I Read Thee?
severe apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning
read the original


How do I read thee? Let me count the ways.
I read thee from the first and last and mid
My eyes can reach, where pages are not hid
For the ends of books show ideal grace.
I read thee through the pleasure of story’s pace
Most urgent need, by cheap fluorescent light.
I read thee freely, tho’ men strive to ban my right.
I read thee surely, as fervent as I turn a page.
I read thee with aggression put to use
In my old books, like poets, like Byron, like Keats.
I read thee with a mind I beg not to lose
Poets, my lost saints. I read of thee verbal feats,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but read thee better after death.


Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote some of the most passionate poetry about her love for her husband, writer Robert Browning. Her style is not confused or hindered by poetics. Browning brought her simple heart to the page, guided by her brilliant intellect.

Reading good books is like love. There is passion beginning and ending the relationship. Unlike love, all books must end, but with each page turn, we consume and linger and enjoy.

I hope you enjoy my adaptation of Browning's most famous, most parodied poem.

--Brockeim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now do green eggs and ham.

did the Brownings fall in love through the mail?