January 09, 2010

For Neighborhood Mountain Sledding : Review: Pelican Mega Snow Runner Sled

For Neighborhood Mountain Sledding
Pelican Mega Snow Runner Sled

Some sleds are sleek and beautiful, built for photos in backyards. Not this one. While attractive, the Snow Runner is about speed. This, for a boy at 8 years-old, is an Olympic luge, with thoughts of German champion Georg Hackl emblazoned within one glance at this machine.

Christmas came early with the first snow and a gift of the Snow Runner. No longer would I slip gently down a 20-foot 10% decline in the hill near the school on a tiny round sled. This year, I would match my skill against the former garbage hill. Some called it Widow's Peak, Blueberry Hill, or Mt. Stink. We in the third grade just called it "The Mountain".

My dad took Nancy and I up the long, slippery, anticipated trek to the top. Nancy came only for company, and the promised hot chocolate. My dad never intended to sled with me. This was my time. He looked at me and nodded as men do.

There I was looking into the mouth of the beast. I stood alone, staring down at each bump through to the street 400 meters down. Would I meet my maker today? Would my body break halfway down, hitting some hidden rock? Would I slide at an unforgiving speed through to the highway? I didn't ask those questions. No, I leapt, and thumped feet-first onto my trusty Snow Runner.

I never steered. I held on. I went where gravity intended, following the groove of a hundred sledders before me. Those sledders, whoever they are, became my brothers and sisters that day.

No rush will compare to seeing trees flash by like meteors, sensing through my body every uneven patch of snow, or the smell of wind and ice on my face. They say an Olympic luge goes 100 mph. To that I say, I went much faster. A gold medal could have been earned that day.

That's how it happened, and I survived and the sled survived. Nancy, my dad, and I drank hot chocolate with marshmallows, each telling their story, my story.

May you too find exhilaration and joy through your Pelican Mega Snow Runner Sled.

--Brockeim



No comments: