November 21, 2011

Review: Bourbon: 50 Rousing Recipes for a Classic American Spirit - Nice Recipes for Party Hosts



Bourbon: 50 Rousing Recipes for a Classic American Spirit (50 Series)
I am not a bourbon fan, not in the way that complex recipes usually involve. I drink it watered down, on ice. I like it that way. Maybe a squirt of lemon or of orange liqueur. That said, my eyes (or taste buds) were opened. More importantly, I have now a tool for treating my guests with more than what I like.

"Bourbon: 50 Rousing Recipes for a Classic American Spirit" is a neat little book. Rousing recipes? That's misleading. After sampling a recipe (or two, or was it three?), I felt more relaxed than roused.

Of the recipes, given my general preferred simplicity of bourbon, "That Horse Race Pie" was my favorite. Apparently its twin brother is the very famous Derby Pie, but legal reasons limit their ability to say. Or maybe they were just being nice to the originators of the pie. Really, though, it is just a variation on pecan pie. In small slices, warmed, with adequate dollops of whipped cream (by adequate, I mean extraordinarily, indulgently generous), it is quite tasty. Good with a Colombian drip coffee, no sugar or cream. A French roast will do as well.

All the recipes are cleanly presented. If you put your drink on a folded napkin, on the spine, near the bottom, it holds open well enough. The introductions to each recipe are occasionally interesting, so, while not actually hosting a party, set the book in your bathroom for quick reading.

In all, if you, like myself, host frequent gatherings, and are looking to expand your library for luscious drinks (not, no lush library, but, with enough testing of the recipes, you can have that as well)... this is the way to go.

--Brockeim

No comments: